Friday, February 12, 2010

What's the difference between AWD and Front Wheel Drive with Traction Control?

I am looking to buy a new minivan. I live in a rural part of New England and need to deal with snow and ice regularly. I am deciding between All Wheel Drive and Front Wheel Drive with Traction Control. What is the difference? Which is better? Which would you choose and why?What's the difference between AWD and Front Wheel Drive with Traction Control?
FWD is just as good if not better than AWD. My sister lives in new hampshire and owns a subaru AWD she's not happy as the car tends to fishy tail unexpectedly as the different wheels have different amounts of grip depending on the road conditions at the time also the AWD sucks up more gas and cost more to fix. You would be far better served by an FWD Vehicle. I live in vermont never needed a AWD FWD works just fine all the time.What's the difference between AWD and Front Wheel Drive with Traction Control?
FWD with traction control is probably all you need.





I have a Honda Pilot w/ AWD and now I kinda regret it because you have to maintain the transfer case (change fluid) and I'm not really sure how we benefit from it. It has the 4-wheel lock for first gear, which could be handy if you're parked in an area that is iced over and you need to get rolling.





Someone will inevitably describe some scenario where the AWD would have saved your life/family etc. I'm just not sure if it's worth the extra maintenance.





Good luck on the new car.
Although a awd vehicle can be more expinsive it can be well worth the money if you live somewhere you think you need it and if you deal with snow and ice alot then the extras could be helpful to you %26amp; your family.
AWD do not have an extensive low gear range %26amp; so do poorly on slow speed travel where more manual shifting downward would be better. I'd choose the FWD for New England %26amp; my usual sub-alpine byways. AWD worked well for me in Interstate travel and


sea ports where the ocean harbors hardly ever froze.

No comments:

Post a Comment