Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Any ideas on how to keep my teen driver under control and safe?

My son got his license 3 weeks ago and ever since is always hounding me for the car. I want to give him his freedom but I also want to keep my car intact. Not to mention he brought home a speeding ticket last night.Any ideas on how to keep my teen driver under control and safe?
I'm a teen driver as well. Make sure he has EVERYTHING he needs in case of an emergency. Keep disposable cameras, a cell phone, a cell phone charger, emergency flares, a toolbox, spare tires, tire jacks. Make sure he is ready for ANY emergency, even a flat tire. Make sure he knows how to change tires. Make sure he knows the numbers to your insurance if he gets into an accident and cannot get in touch with you. You need to prepare for anything in case of an emergency.





Teen drivers are more likely to get into accidents. Before letting him drive on his own, even though he does have a license, stay with him and ride in the front and make sure he's following all traffic laws, and is obeying the speed limit and the lines on the road. My parents didn't let me drive alone when I got my license until about a month or two after I received it, and I managed to not get into any accidents since.





Good luck to you and your teen driver.





%26gt;^_*%26lt;Any ideas on how to keep my teen driver under control and safe?
Ha, I just went through the same thing with my son, and 3 speeding tickets later me and my wife were fed up. We try the no car route and just got fed up with non stop begging and stomping (and fixing the odd bed room door) so my wife went looking at those in car gps units, which were really expensive. But we did find a cheaper alternative in The Lemur Autovision Safe driving monitor at http://www.Thesafedrivingmonitor.com. It record maximum speed and distance traveled ect. So far it has worked well at curbing his enthusiastic driving.





When we were looking we also considered Carchip, however that device isn't wireless so we opted for the Lemur. They're about the same price. Hope this helps
Come up with some sort of plan for him to have his own car. Tell him to get a job or something. If he can't be responsible on all fronts, he's not going to be responsible for the car.





Open a savings account specifically for this purpose, and have him start stashing money... help him pick a realistic car for himself, and help him come up with a plan. If you put this much money in the account, this frequently, then you will have the car by this time. And if he actually does stick with the plan, allow him to use your car in the mean time. Until then, no more car. He needs to prove that he can be responsible.
Just tell him no, your car cost money. Maybe you could make a deal with him that you will go half and half on a used car for him.
Aww; I'd say let him have a joy ride with you and let him show you his 'skills'...haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment